Saturday, September 18, 2010

Red, Cream and Black - Sugar Creek Hollow Challenge


I created this card for the Sugar Creek Hollow Challenge this week.  I went for an uber easy vintage flair card. 

Now normally vintage cards have a stigma of being complicated and having to use lots and lots of distressing and layers.  But that is not always the case.  

I used a piece of Webster's Page DP, a Martha Steward die cut that I sponged with some Black soot distress ink, a red silk ribbon and a digital sentiment from Sugar Creek Hollow

This is an example of simple vintage card. 

VINTAGE TIP:
The key to making a simple vintage card is having your DP do the work for you. There are so many vintage style papers on the market right now and they do all the work for us.  Another thing I like to do is use SCH digital stamps to create my own vintage style DP. Look for a video next week using this technique.


EDIT:  Take a look at Sharon's blog, Inklined To Stamp.  She created the most beautiful background paper using SCH stamps. 

Please join us in this weeks challenge over at the Sugar Creek Hollow Blog.  Make sure to check out the SCH Design Team, to see all of their uber talented inspiration.

Thanks for stopping by today!!!

Many Blessings,

Mary

Sharing the Love: “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children”-  Ephesians 5:1

13 comments:

Sharon Basel said...

I just love the elegant simplicity of your card Mary. Quite lovely. Thanks for the mention of my blog and the background paper technique!

Heide said...

Mary,
I love your card! Perfect CAS, yet with a vintage flair.

Primitive Paper said...

Great tip Mary...thanks for that info. Your card is just as sweet as can be and I love the simplicity of how it all works together. Tracy

Nancy said...

That is a wonderful tip, Mary!! You made a beautiful and simple card, and hopefully someone who is intimidated will try it out!! You inspired me!! Love it, and that ribbon is delicious!!

marsha said...

Mary, this is just so elegant! I love your lotus die with this sentiment and I think the simplicity really turns the focus to the sentiment.
Hugs, Marsha

stephanie said...

Sweet and elegant, love that die too.

Gunn (MsPlum) said...

This is lovely! Great DP and the red ribbon is a great eyecatcher!

Mvh
Gunn

Renlymat's World of Family & Crafts said...

You're right. Sometimes less is more. I love how the DP works with the flourishes on the letters of the stamp.

Dawn Edwards said...

Beautiful card Mary. Sometimes the simple cards are the most pleasing to the eye. Thanks for the tips and I can't wait to see the video next week.

Julie said...

Your card is beautiful. I love the little touch of red with the ribbon.

Hugz,
Julie

Donna Moore said...

Simply elegant, I love everything about it!!
hugs
donna

Lisa Atha said...

Great card, I love the simple layout!

Lisa

Pat (mspfd) said...

Gorgeous card, Mary! I love this wonderful design. Elegant simplicity at its best!