Thursday, October 29, 2009

Samuel and the Cello


(Please don't mind the photo above; this is the only photo I have of him playing the Cello-more photos to come. He is in his jammies and you can see the blanket and backpack....LOL! This pic was taken the night of his first lesson.) Isn't he soo cute!


Well this is my young man practicing his Cello. Both of the boys love music and well I do to. We have worship music playing a lot in our home. I am so glad that the boys love music. Well poor little Sammie-dooles has been begging me for piano lessons the past two years. And because of many different reasons, I was not able to provide him piano lessons....(I know, I know, I won the worst mother of the year award!)

But not having lessons didn't deter him from practicing on his keyboard (I gave him my old keyboard.) for 30 - 45 mins a day. Now I did teach him the scales I knew and where the notes where but that was all I could do. LOL! I love music always have, I can hear the different notes, tone and pitch...but unable to tell you what note and how to fix it. Annoying!   Needless to say that my artistic side is not music. =)

Well Samuel came home a few weeks ago and said he wanted to be a part of the Orchestra and he gave me the info. Right from the beginning he told me that he wanted to play the Cello. Now I tried to get him to play the violin....for selfish purposes of course....I would love for him to play me some lively Irish jigs on the violin or viola or fiddle....see my point...(LOL!) Well as much as he loves me, Samuel told me "To go play my Irish music CD's if I wanted to listen to that kind of music, because I want to play the Cello mom." How could I argue? I couldn't. (FYI: I was only teasn' him about playing the violin. I am a firm believer in allowing the boys to choose which instrument they want to play. I am truly not one of the overbearing music moms....LOL! Just in case you were wondering. LOL!)

Samuel is now playing the Cello and having lots of fun learning. Our instructor is awesome. He is patient with Samuel and the other children. Plus he encourages them to do their best and it is helping Samuel with his self confidence.



Ok enough of the family stuff. I hope I didn't bore you to death.



Blessings!


Mary

3 comments:

martita said...

That's so great to read about your family... what's the best is that I was playing cello (as my main instrument) and piano in my primary school :) because I was in music school (not lessons just after school but a normal school with all music lessons)... Music is still incredibly important in my life, even when I'm not playing now :)
btw. did you play classic music to your kids when they were in your belly? :) my mom was listening to Chopin's music :) and she thinks that's why I'm tallented and love music ;)
greetings from Szczecin full of gold leafs:)

Nancy ~ Inkcicles said...

I love music too! How wonderful for him to learn.

:-)

Shawna said...

I love hearing bits and pieces about my blogging friends' lives. Thanks for sharing. And isn't that little guy a cutie!!!